NYU Winthrop is a 591-bed university-affiliated medical center, which offers sophisticated diagnostic and therapeutic care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are a major regional healthcare resource with a deep commitment to medical education and research, offering a full complement of inpatient and outpatient services.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Lab Technologist I.
In this role, the successful candidate aids in the detection, diagnosis and treatment of disease using the latest computerized interfaced biomedical instruments to generate accurate, reliable results. Analyzes blood, body fluids and tissues. Examines specimens to detect various disease states. Correlates and interpreting clinical laboratory tests using their independent judgment and responsibilities. Monitors quality, recognizes testing errors, detects and resolves problematic specimens. Disseminates clinical laboratory test information to clinicians. Evaluates clinical laboratory testing for each individual patient. Recognizes the need to incorporate new methodologies, instrumentation and tests as they relate to current trends and needs. Responsible for training and teaching student, residents and staff.
- Adheres to the laboratory’s Quality Control policies and procedures, instrumentation maintenance procedures and, instrument trouble shooting protocols.
- Recognizes system failures and takes effective corrective action. Determines whether the patient/test sample integrity is acceptable.
- Notifies appropriate personnel in the case of any unacceptable samples, and records in departmental call log all specific information. Calls critical values to the appropriate person, requires verification of results and documents in departmental call log all specific information.
- Develops, coordinates and provides team support. Coaches, mentors and trains Medical Technology Students, Residents and other Technologists and Technicians.
- Recognizes unsafe working conditions and takes corrective action. Follows OSHA regulations for PPE (Personnel Protective Equipment) such as lab coats, gloves and protective shields when in contact with blood and body fluids.
- Participates in unit based quality improvement initiatives. Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-services or obtains information presented.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a Associate Degree OR licensed by NYS Department of Education as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist Required as per NYS Dept Education Clinical Lab Technologist grandfathering provision. Current New York State Dept of Education Clinical Laboratory Technologist License or limited permit Required. Strong communication (both oral and written), critical thinking, data reporting, detail orientation, organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills Required. Basic computer Skills Required..
Required Licenses: CliniclLabTechnolgst-NYSPermit, Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) certification Preferred. 1-2 years of Clinical laboratory science Preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Winthrop provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Winthrop is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Winthrop’s EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.